||A creative software
research and development position.
Extending IL (proprietary functional
This is the current incarnation of the language that previously was
named Intercol. More information here: http://www.kees.cc/il/
- Integration with Oculus, both graphics and sound.
- Implementing an original sound synthesis engine, with both recording
and real time performance capabilities. Emphasis on complex analytical
- Making the language multi-threaded, also separating main interpreter,
and OpenGL working thread.
- Implementing complex mesh manipulating library, including ‘organically’
growing capacity through strictly local vertex operations.
- Extending type system with (geometric algebraic) multi-vectors,
dual numbers and dual quaternions.
- Integration with OpenGL 4.x and OpenSceneGraph.
- Automatic differentiation of multidimensional functional maps.
February 2015 - June 2016 Roblox
San Mateo, CA
Senior Studio Engineer
October 2014 - December 2014
Atheer Labs Mountain View, CA
- 3D SDK development for Augmented Reality glasses
May-June 2014 Britelite
Immersive San Francisco, CA
- Interactive Multimedia Installation
September 2013-March 2014
Forio San Francisco, CA
- Maintaining and developing Julia
Studio (IDE for dynamic
||April 2013-July 2013 Outward
Inc. San Jose, CA
- interactive scene assembling prototype
- prototype for gestural camera control
- reconstruction of objects with cylindrical symmetry from images
- shape classification research
- evaluation of several ray-trace options
||June 2010-January 2013 AiLive
Inc Mountain View, CA
Member of Technical
- Developing an AI system for behavior capture and - reproduction
- PC Game prototyping
- Machine learning
- Smart TV UI development with wireless 6D controller
||September 2007-June 2010
Total Immersion Software Alameda, CA
- Developing a system to generate 3D models from photographs. (Computer
vision, multiple image geometry)
- Technologies: Qt, .NET, C++/CLI,
- Implementing a procedural sky with animated cloud cover and accurate
sun and moon position and phases for Total Immersion's RealWorld product.
- Technologies: Emergent Gamebryo,
||November 2001-March 2007 Maxis
(Electronic Arts) Emeryville, CA
Sr. Software Engineer
- Started in prototyping team of 3 engineers
(+ Will Wright, who is chief designer of Spore, and before that of
'The Sims' and 'SimCity')
- creature editor for articulated bodies
- Genetic algorithm for development of
nervous systems for these, optimizing locomotion efficiency. Used
technologies: OpenGL, ODE and my own language IL ( http://www.kees.cc/il/
- Artificial evolution of body plans based
on L-Systems with linear genetic code and network based development
- Procedural animation systems based on
high-level scripting language
- Walking algorithm for creatures with
any number of legs, in random configuration.
- Some of this work is reflected in the
Siggraph 2008 paper: "Real-time motion retargeting to highly varied
- Unified two level animation/behavior
- body parts in creatures
- creatures in group
- Used technologies: LUA and Havok.
- This was basically the creature animation
as demonstrated by Will at GDC in 2005.
- Texture atlas generation for dynamic
content by implementing LSCM (least squares conformal mapping).
July 2001-October 2001 Contractor
Mill Valley, CA
- Made an Open-GL port for GIG 3DGO
||May 1999-Feb 2001 E-Color
San Francisco, CA
- Developed Jpeg color correction kernel
for E-Color's Correction Server (C++, native dll)
- Developed and maintained other parts
of that server architecture (Java servlets)
- Developed Image Publishing Software
for customers (applet)
- Developed several test and research
applications for in-house color-science purposes (VC++, MFC)
- Several contributions to fundamental
color-science fields, resulting in three patents in my name (Color
correction of Jpeg images, Perceptual classification of color displays
and Calibration modeling of flat-panel displays)
Developer San Francisco, CA
- Domain Oriented Programming Language
(very extensive mathematical functionality, based on generic field
San Francisco, CA
Sr. R&D staff
- Research of artificial evolutionary
techniques in multi-media applications
- Developed plug-ins for 3D Studio MAX
and Photoshop (genetic
- Developed camera calibration/registration
algorithm for virtual sets
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
San Francisco, CA
Principal System Architect
- Responsible for basic research and technical
design and implementation.
- Designed a very large system for 3-D
modeling, animation and rendering (3DGO).
- Designed and implemented the language
'Intercol' as basis for this system.
- Designed and implemented the original
system (modeling, surface texturing, transformation, lights, camera,
etc.) in this language.
- Also integrated a very advanced procedural
texture mapping and shading language into Intercol.
- Designed TIFF extensions for post processing
and compositing of synthetic images. (pixel info on depth, surface
normal, lighting, texture coordinates, etc.)
- Designed and implemented a (2nd) new
programming language IL with the following characteristics:
- unification of image processing, (2-D
and 3-D) modeling, texturing, animation and sound, based on intensional
- generic user-interface coupling,
- object oriented linking of C-functionality
- Designed and implemented a new texture
editor for 3DGO.
- Conceptual design of an authoring system
for 'virtual sets' for the San Francisco office. In 1996 appointed
head of research there.
||Green Card (EB1-EA)
Skills, expert level
Graphics (3D,2D), animation
digital sound and music
language design and implementation
||University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- BS equiv. Mathematics and Physics
- Numerical Mathematics and Computer Science
Institute for Sonology, Utrecht, the Netherlands
- Analog and Digital signal processing
- Computer music composition and sound
||Computer Music Composition
- International performances.
Cooperation on Audiovisual Productions
- Procedural Modeling, Texturing and Animation.
- SIGGRAPH Art Show, Chicago 92
- Several expositions in US and the Netherlands
- Sausalito Art Festival, by invitation
- Group Exposition, Gallery One, Point